The promotion phase in Hora Finita follows a sequence of steps after the PhD candidate has submitted the manuscript to the PhD supervisor for review:
- The PhD supervisor judges if the manuscript is ready for assessment by the Manuscript Committee.
- On request PhD supervisor proposes members for the Manuscript Committee.
- The proposed composition goes through an approval process.
- Once appointed the Manuscript Committee members assess the thesis and also consider if is it worthy to be considered for 'cum laude'.
- Should it be considered 'cum laude' worthy a separate process will be started where a committee of referees is suggested, then approved or rejected. This committee then advises whether or not the thesis should be given the predicate of 'cum laude'.
- Once the manuscript is approved by the Manuscript Committee the Office of the Registrar's Office will plan a date for the PhD Defence Ceremony together with the PhD candidate.
- Following this the PhD will be asked to submit a title page. Upon submitting their title page the Registrar's Office will review it.
- The PhD supervisor will then be asked to propose members for the Doctoral Examination Board.